Speechless

Definitely not a word anyone would use to describe me.  Ever.

But I aspire to be.  I want to spend less time talking and more time listening.  Less time running and more time watching.  Less time planning and more time thanking.

I love old school 90s Christian music.  Michael W. Smith...Twila Paris....Steven Curtis Chapman.  You get the picture.  I found a bunch of old CDs the other day and in an effort to increase my children's listening repertoire I popped a few of them in.

Steven Curtis Chapman had been on my heart recently because I just finished reading his wife's book about the tragic loss of their daughter.  He and his wife have 3 biological children and 3 adopted daughter's from China.  They lost one of their daughters a few years ago in a car accident and it has profoundly impacted their lives.  If you haven't read it you should check it out!

I digress.

One of my all time favorites by SCC is Speechless.  The lyrics are powerful and for me paint a vivid picture of what the gospel truly is.

Lyrics like....

"breathtaking view of your grace"

"what kind of love would this be that would trade heaven's throne for a cross?"

"you celebrate over finding just one that was lost"

"A Story that's too great for words"

And the chorus repeated over and over again...

And I am speechless
I'm astonished and amazed
I am silenced by your wondrous grace
You have SAVED me
You have raised me from the grave
I am speechless in your presence now
I'm astounded as I consider how
You have shown us
A love that leaves us speechless

Can you remember the last thing that really took your breath away?  Something that truly left you speechless?  Amazed?

The things Chapman penned in this song are true.  The God of the Universe sent his one and only Son to earth.  He traded the glory of Heaven for the reality of the cross.

It's mind boggling.  It IS a story that is too great for words.  It should leave you speechless.

And even more unbelievable is that this mighty and loving God did this for me.  He rejoices over me.

Incredible.

Awesome.

Speechless.


But because of his great love for us God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved.  And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus
Ephesians 2:4-6

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are!  
I John 3:1

Should with joy to God all the earth!  Sing the glory of his name; make his praise glorious!  Say to God, "How awesome are your deeds!  So great is your power that your enemies cringe before you.  All the earth bows down to you; they sing praise to you, they sing praise to your name.  Come and see what God has done, how awesome his works in man's behalf!
Psalm 66:1-5

For God so loved the world He gave his one and only Son that whosoever believes in Him might not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16







Comments

  1. Michael W. Smith is one of my favorite artists of all time. I have rings around favorite songs from his cds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great song and speaks volumes! Like you, I'm trying to sit back, relax, refresh and renew myself from the hustle and bustle of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post and perfect sentiment for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just talking to my husband today about slowing down and making time for what is really important in our lives. Great post! Thanks for linking at the Nice to Meet You Blog Hop. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), one of the Friday Chaos co-hosts.
    So glad you stopped by to link up! I loved this post and look forward to checking out more of your blog.
    Have a great day…

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts