Do You Have Any More of That Green Stuff?



That's what the Reedster asked me at breakfast this morning.  And my visions of sitting at the lunch table with a good book and a huge bowl of soup withered away.  Being a Mama equals sharing your food.  Even the green stuff.

I've been getting back to a Whole30/Paleoish diet because honestly I am struggling big time with my weight.  I weigh forty pounds more than I did when we got married and although every single pound is worth it because I have the three most precious children that ever lived, it still stinks.  I'm literally self conscious to go to the gym.

But.  I bought some new workout clothes, did a 3 day cleanse and I feel like I am back on track.  I'm tracking my calories in My Fitness Pal, drinking more water and feeling hopeful.  

This soup makes me hopeful.  Real food tastes real good my friends.  

Make this today.  Seriously.  And I would double it because your 3 year old is going to want to eat the green stuff too.

That Green Stuff Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic clothes, minced
1 lb asparagus, chopped
2 cups packed fresh spinach
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chipped
1 scallion, chopped
1 avocado
2 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh is best but use what you have!)
11/2 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
2 cups chicken broth

In a large pot saute your chopped onions and garlic in olive oil.  Add the asparagus, spinach and scallion. Saute until they are soft.  

Meanwhile in the blender add the chopped parsley (must be fresh!!), lemon juice, avocado, chicken broth, sea salt and pepper.  

Once you've finished your veggies turn off the heat and transfer to the blender.  Close your blender and here is the most important step.  Grab a dishtowel and cover your blender!!!!  Otherwise when you blend that hot liquid will spew up everywhere.  Trust me on this one!

Transfer back to pot and heat.  Serve.

The original recipe called for an avocado crema on top but honestly I don't think you need it.  I topped my first bowl with a little bit of goal cheese and crispy prosciutto.  But honestly?  it didn't need it.  It was so darn good without!  If you don't have prosciutto and want a little something you could top with bacon crumbles.  The goat cheese was a good pairing but again not necessary.

The soup was thicker so I think it would also make a great sauce for chicken, fish or rice.  It's such a great way to get veggies in!!  Plus it is SO healthy!!!

Comments

Popular Posts