Kiddo Curry



We're doing another round of the Whole 30 at our house.  I don't force my kids or Peter to be compliant except at dinner.  I don't mind fixing two lunches or breakfasts since those are easy meals.  But I'm not going to make two dinners.  My kiddos loved this!

I had this curry for the first time a couple of years ago at our then pastor's house.  I thought it was AMAZING and I immediately went home to try to recreate it.  I wanted to make it Paleo and Whole 30 friendly and I was thrilled when they recently added white potato to the ok to eat list!!


Kiddo Curry

3 small white potatoes diced (I leave the skin on but you can do it either way)
1/2 a bag of mini-carrots diced (I like mine larger so I usually make them the size of a marshmellow)
1 onion, chopped
coconut flour (approx 1/3 cup)
4 T coconut oil 
3 chicken breasts, diced
2-4 cups chicken broth
1 5.5 oz can coconut milk (or half a large can)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 banana
1 apple
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup raisins

Put 2 T of coconut oil in a large pot.  Dice onion and saute.  Chop potatoes, carrots and chicken. Put chicken and 2 T of coconut oil in a pan and saute.  Reserve to add to the recipe later.  Add the potatoes, carrots and chicken broth to the large pot.  The amount of chicken broth you use will determine how much curry you make.  If you like it to be more like a soup you could add all four cups. If you like it to be more like sauce I would stick to 2 and 1/2 or 3.  Put a lid on your pot and bring to a boil.  Boil until veggies are tender (usually 20 minutes or so depending on the size of your carrots.  If you've diced them smaller then your cook time will be less.)

Mix your coconut flour with an equal amount of water.  I would start with 1/3 cup of each.  This will help thicken your curry.  Again, depending on how thick you want the sauce and how much sauce you want, you'll need to adjust the measurements.  If it still isn't thick enough you can add more.  Just remember to mix your coconut flour with water first.  This keeps it from clumping up in your curry.  If you want to make this and aren't following a strict paleo or Whole 30 diet then you can definitely substitute corn starch here!

Next add your spices.  I find this to be a very arbitrary part of cooking.  I rarely measure my spices unless I am baking. I just tend to add a little more of this and that until I like the taste.  The measurements above are a great jumping off point but feel free to add more or less of anything!  This is just an approximate combination that has worked for me!

After you have a taste you love, stir in your chicken.  See, I told you it was easy!!

I serve in a bowl with diced apple, banana, raisins and coconut. Again, if you are following Whole 30 or paleo you'll want to look for unsweetened coconut (usually in the bulk section of your grocery store).  

This is so healthy and delicious!!  I hope you enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts