It's Time for a Picnic

The weather is beautiful here today.  I LOVE Charleston in the Spring.  It isn't quite Spring yet but the anticipation is wonderful!  If I close my eyes I can picture the sun shining, flowers blooming and that salty marshy smell that is characteristically Charleston.  We're headed out of town for good in July so until then I plan to soak up all the perfection that is Charleston.

In preparation for a beautiful springtime picnic here is one of my favorite cold salads given to me by my boss at CofC John.  It's so colorful and bright and is the perfect non traditional addition to any spring or summer meal.

Picnic Couscous Salad

11/4 cup chicken broth or water
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 tsp grated lemon rind
2 T lemon juice
1 T olive oil
3/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup pimento-green olives
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup fresh parsley OR cilantro (I prefer cilantro)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can Great Northern Beans (rinsed & drained)

1. Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Stir in couscous, remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork and cool.

2. Whisk together lemon rind, lemon juice, oil and mustard in a large bowl.  Add couscous, tomatoes and remaining ingredients.  Toss well. 

I can't wait until all the yummy spring and summer produce is in season!!  I'll have lots of recipes to share soon!!


Comments

Popular Posts