Italian Tomato Salad


I am a major cheeseaholic.  Love it!!  Cheese is ok in moderation which is why I love this fresh summer salad.  It's a different spin on a caprese, my favorite!  I like to serve this one as pictured above or chopped.  It is wonderful chopped as a brushetta or overtop salad greens.

I got this particular recipe from a Southern Living cookbook but have seen it in Taste of Home as well.

Italian Tomato Salad

3 large tomatoes, chopped or sliced
1 small purple onion, chopped or sliced
1 T minced fresh basil
1 T minced fresh oregano
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3 T olive oil
3 T red wine vinegar
1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

For starters I never have fresh oregano at my house so I just double the basil and add a bit of dried oregano for taste.  I also  prefer feta cheese for this recipe as well.

Combine tomato and onion in a bowl.  Dress with remaining ingredients (except the cheese).  Sprinkle the top with cheese.  Chill for 8 hours.

Easy!  And yummy of course!!  Those are the only recipes I do!!!

Comments

  1. I love tomato salad when tomatoes are fresh and in season. There is nothing better then plump tomatoes from vine.

    Hope you can come by Foodie Wednesday and share this recipe.
    http://www.frugalwannabecooks.com/2009/11/ravioli-deluca-style.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. since i could like off of cheese alone and i think tomatoes are sent straight from heaven, i think i'll have to give this a whirl and love it alot!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks super yummy!!!

    I found you from the blog hop and I'm following you via GFC. I would love it if you would follow me back!

    http://www.centslessdeals.com

    ~JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    This is a great salad, I just love salad's in the summertime when everything is so fresh. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing beats a fresh plump fully ripe tomato (: I just came back from a trip to italy, and a favourite salad combination there was the caprese, which is basically just basil mozarella and tomato. try fresh mozarella instead of the gorgonzola for a variation (: i lovee cheese too!

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/06/italian-bruschetta-with-tomatoes-black.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts