Tuna & Artichoke Panini




If you are a new reader you might not know that I was originally inspired to love food by watching Giada on the Food Channel.  I love her.  I want to meet her and be her best friend.  Actually that would be fabulous because then she could just cook for me!  Seriously though, her food is unique, yummy and approachable for a new cook.  You do have to have an open mind though because she uses lots of ingredients that may not be familiar to a new cook, especially if you are not super in to food.  


Here is one of my favorites.  It's a panini that combines artichokes, beans and tuna fish to make a fresh, healthy meal!  

Artichoke-Tuna Panini


Garbanzo Bean Spread:

  • 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint
  • 2 tsp lemon zest
  • 3 tsp lemon juice
  • 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Panini:

  • 1 cup pitted black olives, finely chopped
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 (5 1/2-ounce) cans Italian tuna in olive oil, drained 
  • 1 (13 3/4-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
  • French Bread or baguettes
  • 2 cups arugula

  • I make the bean spread first.  All you do is combine all the ingredients in the food processor.  Easy!  
Next I mix up my ingredients for panini.  The recipe calls for black olives but I find they don't have enough taste to overpower the tuna.  I would suggest using kalamata olives instead.  Also, the recipe calls for olive oil plus tuna that is packed in olive oil.  I think that is WAY too much olive oil.  I left out the 2/3 cup and I still drained the oil off of the tuna.
After you mix up the ingredients simply spread the beans spread of your bread (we usually use sub rolls) and then add your tuna mixture.  I toasted my bread in a panini press before assembling the sandwich as well.  
These are filling and a great new way to serve tuna!  They are also pretty healthy if you leave off a lot of the oil.  I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Comments

  1. That looks delicious! I love artichoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I just love this combination it would be a great sandwich. Hope you have a great holiday weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts