Veggie Cup Bouquets & Cucumber Pickles


I got this idea from....surprise...Pinterest.  Sometimes I wish I could say I just made something up myself but usually my projects are stolen/borrowed.  

Anyway!  I just thought this was the cutest little thing.  I wanted to make one for everyone at the party and then quickly reminded that contrary to popular belief (who am I kidding?) I am not supermom.  These were easy but they did take a little bit of time to prepare.  Time = sanity in my life right now.  I think I chose wisely!

First I gathered my supplies.  And by gathered I mean, sent Peter out to the store for toothpicks, celery and spinach since I forgot to purchase those items.  While he was off saving the day, because clearly he IS super-husband, I cut up the carrots, peeled and sliced the cucumbers and got out my tomatoes, cream cheese & glasses.

I peeled and sliced the cucumber first.  If you try this make sure you slice your cucumber pretty thick.  Some of mine were too small and it was hard to get the toothpick in.  Don't make them too big though because then they will fall over.  You might have to experiment.  I saved my cucumber remnants for my cucumber pickle jar.  (Recipe to follow).

I sliced carrot for the center of the flowers and attached them using a small dab of cream cheese.  I cut up the celery to look like stems and then just started creating flowers with carrots, cucumber and tomato.  I only had one color of tomato but these would look even better with a variety (red, yellow & orange).  

I wish I had a better cookie cutter.  If I were going to make this one again I would use one that had more defined petals.  This was a round cookie cutter that had a scalloped edge.  It was all I had in the house small enough to cut a cucumber.  I briefly considered making the petals using a knife free-hand and then quickly reminded myself that was clearly not time efficient.  Remember, time = sanity.

This is a great project to do with bigger kids but you just have to be careful with the toothpicks.  They were pretty hard to get down into the celery and carrots.

Now...on to the recipe.

If you don't have a cucumber-pickle container you should.  I grew up eating cucumber sandwiches.  I know you are thinking right now...that doesn't sound so good.  But you are wrong.  These are the perfect summer sandwich.

Here is how you make a cucumber-pickle jar/container etc.

Peel & slice 1-2 large cucumbers.
Slice 1 medium onion.

Add to a jar or container with 1 cup water, 1 cup cider vinegar 1 T sugar and 1 tsp salt.  I usually double this.  Leave in the fridge overnight and the cucumbers and onions will soak up all the yummy vinegary taste.  You can eat them right out of the jar or on soft white bread with mayo, salt & pepper.  I usually re-use my vinegar mixture for a couple of weeks and then start over.  

I'd love to see pictures of your flower bouquets or hear the creative ways you use veggies in your house!!  We're trying to eat more!

Comments

  1. Lovely idea. I like your blog. I have just signed up as a follower. Please drop by to Carole's Chatter and check it out. You might like my Food on Friday series which focuses on a different thing. This week it is prawns and shrimp. If you like my blog it would be great if you followed me back. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    I just love your Veggie Bouquet what a great idea. Hope you have a great holiday weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I will remember these for the next kids party I host. Found you via Mangia Mondays. I'm hosting a Meatless Monday party if you'd like to link-up there too: http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/2012/09/meatless-monday-pb-sushi.html. Hop to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea! First healthy thing I have found on my blog hop today!
    Found you on Mingle Monday. I am a new follower. If you get a chance check out my blog!
    Megan
    http://nicholsfam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This caught my eye at Mealtime Monday! Cute idea and thanks for sharing - I hadn't seen this one before. Also a new follower and would like to invite you over to do the same if you like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to present those veggies!!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking these super cute snacks up at Meatless Monday!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lived in England for a year and used to eat cucumber sandwiches all of the time! I love them.

    This is just the cutest thing I ever saw. I will have to remember this when my college age "baby" comes home for a break! She is just enough of a little girl to love them.

    I am now a follower and will be pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute, thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday! I do love veggies and maybe the kids would too if they looked like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are SUPER cute!! My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/glutenfree-fridays-recipe-party-4/ It doesn't mean that you have to be a gluten free bloggers. If you have some recipes on your blog that are gluten free that counts! :) Many recipes are naturally gluten free.
    ! Thanks, Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts