Fall Food Fun

My helper was too tired to help cook and that was too bad because we did a lot of cooking!  First item-Tomato Soup.  I'm not very hard to please when it comes to tomato soup.  In a can is good enough for me.  But we were going to a Fall Pumpkin Party.  I couldn't take soup in a can! 

Roasted Tomato Soup
11 medium tomatoes (31/2 pounds)
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
2T Olive oil
2 T fresh thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
12 basil leaves

This recipe is super simple.  Halve your tomatoes and garlic and place on a baking sheet.  Cut your onion in fourths and add  it.  Drizzle with olive oil and thyme.  Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes; stirring once.  Cool.

Put it in your blender with the basil leaves and voila! Super yummy tomato soup!  Make sure you get tomatoes that are pretty ripe.  This obviously isn't tomato season and I think this soup would be even more "souper" (ha ha, that's a Dad joke!) if you made it in the summer when tomatoes are in season.  Seasonal cooking is really important!  In keeping with the season I also made a roasted carrot dip.  Keep scrolling!!



I didn't get a final picture of my tomato soup or the roasted carrot dip but I did get a couple of cute little boys in costume.  Sorry Mr. Banana, I'll get one of you on Saturday!!

Mr. Jonathan "Scarecrow" Tucker

Stafford "Superman" Euler (and his cute Daddy!)


This roasted carrot dip is an awesome alternative to pumpkin if you want something that looks and tastes like fall but aren't a huge pumpkin fan. 

Roasted  Carrot Dip

10 medium carrots

5 garlic cloves, peeled
2 T. olive oil
6 to 8 T. water
2 tsps white wine vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/8 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
4 to 6 pita breads (6 inches)


Cut carrots in half widthwise; cut lengthwise into 1/2-in.-thick slices. In a large bowl, combine the carrots, garlic and oil; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.

Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20 minutes. Stir; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until carrots are tender. Cool slightly. Make sure you check the bottom of your carrots.  I didn't stir mine often enough and the bottoms got a tad burnt.  Not enough to compromise flavour or colour but still!  This is such a pretty dip you want it to be as orange as possible.

In a blender, combine 6 tablespoons water, vinegar, mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, salt, pepper and cooled carrot mixture; cover and process until smooth. Add additional water if needed to achieve desired consistency.

For the pita bread, simple slice it and then bake it at 350 for 4 minutes on each side. 

That's it!  Easy as usual but oh so tasty!  You can serve it hot or cold.  It's great with the pita chips and decent for you!  I've already got the ingredients to make it again!!

I've got more fun recipes to share in the next few days so stay tuned!!

Comments

  1. We made the blog!!! Yea! We feel so honored!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These recipes look yummy!! I'll have to give them a try sometime! Baby Stafford is adorable. :) You look so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I need to make that tomato soup. It looks so good! Thanks for sharing at "I Gotta Try That"
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loooove tomato soup, and this recipe sounds extra yummy. Great pics, too! Thanks for sharing at Meatless Monday!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts