Roman Tomato Salad

Ok so the official title of this salad includes the word summer.  I don't know about you but it is officially NOT summer at our house anymore.  Still I couldn't help but share this.  It fits the guidelines for my Whole 30 challenge and it was really good!  It was also beautiful and I love beautiful food.

I did the cheat version of course.  Busy Mama sometimes has to cut the recipe making time in half.  So instead of reducing down the vinegar I used balsamic syrup that I already had in the house.  Otherwise I stayed true to the recipe.


  • Roman Tomato Salad
  • (by my fav Giada!!)
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup pitted green and black olives, halved
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
3 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
2 T. capers, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
8 fresh basil leaves, shredded
1/2 tsp pepper
6 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes (about 3 tomatoes)

Cook the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat until thick, syrupy, and measuring 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch rounds and place on a serving plate. Mix the remaining ingredients and spoon over the tomatoes. Drizzle the reduced balsamic over the salad and serve. 

This was my first time working with anchovies and I was pleasantly surprised. They added lots of kick to the dish and weren't fishy at all. This salad was beautiful. I served it on a white dish which really made it pop.

Hope you enjoy this one as much as we did!

Comments

  1. This sounds delightful! All things that me and the BF love! I've recently started eating gluten free and am always looking for ideas! I'll be pinning this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! With tomatoes and basil you can't go wrong - I just love them!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at 'capers!' YUM!

    Hello, new follower here! I would love to have you link up with my Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/autumn-giveaway-clever-chicks-blog-hop-4.html
    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe including anchovies! I loved stopping by:)
    Thanks for linking up To Whimsy Wednesday!

    Kelly,
    Smart! School {House}
    www.smartschoolhouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your recipe! Thanks for sharing it with us at Cast Party Wednesday!
    ~Sheryl~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, that looks DELICIOUS!!!!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday, you are being featured tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks delicious and is hopefully on my dinner table soon too :)
    Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday! I will actually feature this recipe tomorrow on my FB page. Stop by so that you don't miss it :)
    Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laura,
    Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! this looks good. thanks for sharing last week on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope that you join us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one interesting recipe of my favorite salad!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts