May Vegucation--Summer Squash


There are many varieties of summer squash out there but I have to say that zucchini is my favorite.  It is so very versatile.  I have quite a few zucchini recipes already on my blog so I wanted to try something new.  In my quest to continually improve our eating habits I recently bought a mandolin.  I've wanted one for a while and after watching too many episode of Chopped & Iron Chef it became clear to me that I couldn't be healthy without one.  Ha!

My favorite thing to make with the mandolin is zucchini noodles.  They are a fabulous substitution for pasta and I prefer the taste to spaghetti squash.

Zucchini Noodle Stir Fry

1 large zucchini
pinch of salt
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 to 1 T soy sauce
1 tsp garlic-chili sauce
2 cloves garlic, chopped
9 shrimp

This is a one person meal or a small side for two people.

Use your mandolin to make the noodles.  If you don't have a mandolin you can slice a zucchini longways and then cut it into very small strips.  It just takes much longer (hence my NEED for this little gadget).  

Heat your olive oil on low.  Mix soy sauce, salt chili sauce and garlic in a small bowl.  Toss with noodles.  Add noodles to the pan and saute until cooked through.  Remove noodles and add shrimp.  Cook until they are pink.

You'll want to play around with the amount of chili sauce and soy sauce you use.  I like this a little more spicy but Peter does not.  So I definitely use less if we are going to share this.  I would also tend to use only 1/2 T of soy but have used 1 T if the zucchini was quite large.

You could add any vegetable to this.  I've added carrots and onions.  It kind of reminds me of the veggies you get if you eat at a Japanese steak house.  Yum!!

Make sure you check out what the other awesome ladies have made this month!

Here is what Trisha at Eat Your Beets has cooked up!

Comments

  1. Ok, I have been looking at zucchini noodles for ages & just haven't made my own yet. This looks great so I think I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts